Since 2001, Acts from across North America have traveled to North Carolina to workshop and showcase the art of comedy. NCCAF welcomes professional and college acts, improvisers, sketch writers and standup comics. It has become widely recognized as one of the largest independent comedy events in the country.
The core of NCCAF has always been education, to bring veterans together so they could see what comedic work was happening around the country, to teach the next generation of performers and to expose festival audiences to what comedy as an art form could make possible.
What We've Achieved
- Welcomed comedy legends Steven Wright, Emo Philips, Margaret Cho, Second City, Mike Birbiglia, and Maria Bamford to area venues.
- Presented Master Classes in comedy and improv from improv legends Charna Halpern, Susan Messing, Jill Bernard, and comedy icons Kevin Allison (The State) and Kevin McDonald (Kids in the Hall).
- Premiered films including The Muslims Are Coming to North Carolina audiences.
- Increased the population of Carrboro by 4% during its annual event in 2010*.
- Helped connect touring comics with bookers for late night and other festivals.
- Supported the opening of theaters and the creation of comedy festivals in Richmond VA, Greenville SC, Tucson AZ & more.
* this statistic substantiated by hotel booking, performer numbers, audience counts and faith. However, a conference multiplier from the Chapel Hill-Orange County Visitor's Bureau has estimated an economic impact of $150,000 annually for Chapel Hill and Carrboro businesses based on known hotel room nights.